[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: logins to secure web pages

I'm not on the www-security list, but this message was forwarded
to me, and I'd like to respond. I apologize if the question has already
been answered...

>kwhittle@nebula.tbe.com wrote:
>>
>> Here's a question for you...
>>
>> How can I set up multiple http servers to accept the same username and password
>> information without having to enter it multiple times?
>
>You can't do it with the existing basic authentication scheme since a name/passwd
>pair is corelated to a domain (ie. a directory of a server and the subdirs)

Actually, you CAN do it. I ran in to the same problem that kwhittle describes
and solved it with a Proxy server. (I used Netscape's, but I assume any one
will do.)

The key is that your browser remembers a machine/port/realm combination.
Even if your "application" is distributed across multiple machines, you
can hide them behind a single machine/port by using a proxy. Example:

	http://A:1234/myscript.cgi sits in the "myapp" realm

	http://B:5678/usefuldata.htm sits in the "myapp" realm

Requesting A prompts the user for a password, and a redirect from A to B will
cause yet another challenge.

Now add a proxy.

	http://P:1111/A  maps to http://A:1234
	http://P:1111/B  maps to http://B:5678

The client sends all requests through the proxy, and the redirect is
also through the proxy. From the browser's point of view, all
the action is at the same machine/port/realm combo.

I think the other response about SSL client authentication
wouldn't help in this case.

g' luck

Bret Gorsline
bretg@cc.bellcore.com           Bellcore - Software Engineer